Thursday, April 28, 2016

Ordering and Creating


           Last week we finally developed our blueprint and the supplements we will need for our filter. This week, we have been researching and testing to make sure that our materials are safe and work to do the things we need them to do. We are still waiting on our order of ph testers and salinity testers. Also, we just put in our order for a strong oil of oregano to kill bacteria, and we just purchased some charcoal at the store. We have already done some testing with the membrane filter paper and we are have discovered that it seems to work better with added pressure and a little bit of coconut oil on the top.  The container we will be using will be an old, standing basketball pump, so the water can be pressurized, which makes the desalination process faster.  We plan to start testing putting together the filter next Wednesday, when we have received all of our supplements and supplies. 

Thursday, April 21, 2016

BluePrint Done!


        Whitley and I have officially decided on the supplements for filter and have created our revised blueprint. This is how our filter will be layered. We will be using a system of condensation to dissolve the salt, this will be the very top of the filter. Then we will have a series of membrane filters that catch the bigger bacteria particles, and large chunks of mud, dirt or other things. Next we will have Oil of Oregano, which is known for breaking down bacteria and killing diseases. At the bottom of the filter there will be activated charcoal, which is known for taking chemical tastes or non water tastes out of water. After that there will be a mesh wire in case any large particles happen to get through the other supplements. The filter will also have a pump, to get a fast result the water needs to have added pressure to help squeeze it through the supplements and filter papers.  And at the bottom will be a large bowl to collect the clean water!!  

                                                                     
   

Friday, April 8, 2016

Goals and Plans

            This week Whitley and I are making layouts and plans for our construction coming up. We are also making long-term goals for the end of this project and what we will do afterwards. The ph and salinity filters are coming and should arrive next Friday. Some of our short term goals are obviously to successfully create a unique desalination filter to present in a Ted Talk along with educating some of our classmates on water related issues.  Some of our long term goals after creating the filter are to donate our filter and raised money to the organization that we choose and raise awareness for the water crisis. Once the filters arrive we will begin another round of tests. Some of the things we'll be testing will be different microbes, vinegar mixed with other chemicals such as hydrogen peroxide and other acidic ph's. After this upcoming test we will finally begin our construction.  

Friday, April 1, 2016

Testing Day

                  Today Whitley and I have finally tested our theories.  We used all of the natural ingredients that we thought would work and we got pretty good results. First we took muddy pond water and tested the Chia seeds with membrane filter paper and this worked fairly well, but still left a significant amount of residue of mud.  Then we tried the potato skin and this drew out most of the salt but none of the mud. Next was the coconut oil which worked extremely well and the mud and pond water particles seemed to pool up on top of the membrane filter and not get through the paper, this left the water very clear. And last was the Pineapple, since pineapple is know for decaying meat and sometimes bacteria, we hoped it might work, but unfortunately it did nothing. We are going to run a few more tests in the upcoming weeks and just ordered a ph and salinity meter to test the water.  We also are ordering some non-harmful chemicals to help with the Desalination process and once we find out the ingredients we need we will be able to construct the filter.  
Here is a picture of the residue that pooled up on the top of the membrane filter after it went through the coconut oil.