Thursday, May 19, 2016

TedTalk

        We finished our TedTalks yesterday! I think it went really well. Whitley and I prepared for a long time for it and we felt pretty confident, we also pretty much had everything we wanted to say memorized. We cover a lot of topics during our talk. For example, our inspiration(water is life foundation), what we learned(how to blog, how do make a blueprint, using the 3-D printer, building using many different materials, experimental testing, etc.), set-backs (hitting a dead end in the middle of the project, figuring out our prototype wasn't going to work like we thought, running out of ideas and many other things) and lastly, describing our final product and blueprint. 
     Our final blueprint looks like a long skinny tube with a open bowl at the top. The bowl will use a series of condensation to take the salt out of the water. Next, at the top of the tube, will be a series of membrane paper and a metal strainer to get the large chunks of mud or bacteria out of the water before it goes through the smaller processes. Next will be Oil of Oregano, known for its antibacterial power. After this is chia seeds which provide microbes. Next, there will be coconut skins and charcoal which give the carbon effect and take the chemical taste out of the water. Lastly, the water will come out the bottom of the tube as freshwater, this whole process will take a total of about 3 minutes. We hope to finish this project over the summer and we will post pictures on our blog! 

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Building the Filter

         This week Whitley and I have been making the outline of the filter on the 3-D printer. It will look like a long slender tube, with a hole at for the water to come in, and a hole at the bottom for the water to come out. We already have the Oil of Oregano, but we are still waiting for the salinity and ph filters and charcoal to arrive. Once that has arrived we will start filling in the filter. First, we will activate the charcoal and pour it in the bottom. Next we will fill in some membrane filters with chia seeds. After that, at the top will be a layer of strainer and then oil of oregano. 
We are currently having trouble with the 3-D printer, but we hope to have it fixed soon so we can start officially building. We think that we might be able to finish the filter by the time of our ted talks.

Monday, May 9, 2016

Testing

     Last week on Wednesday, Whitley and I did some testing for our desalination filter. We tested Oil of Oregano and it worked extremely well.  It is known for killing bacteria and providing strong microbes, and even without the salinity and ph testers we still could see a difference in the filtered water and the pond water. We are still waiting on the some of the materials, that are taking a very long time to ship. Next week we will start using tinkercad, which is the 3-D printer's design palette. We will just start with just the simple outline of the filter and then we will fill in the membrane filters and the other supplements.